Monday, August 10, 2015

Trials and Errors

This has been a great summer! Lots of fun canning and cooking adventures and there are still many more weeks to come!

Most of my jams and preserves have turned out great and I've done some pickling, but I recently tried making sauerkraut and fermenting radishes.

OMG, the sauerkraut was an epic fail. I apologize to my husband and roommates for keeping jars of cabbage, that pretty much just rotted in the pantry. It smelled awful.


I recently made some dilly beans and pickled jalapenos. I planted one jalapeno plant in my garden and I harvested over a pound and a half of peppers! I pickled 4 pint jars of jalapenos and I can't to use them in sandwiches this fall. I'll post the recipe soon. It was super easy and fun.

My sister and I have been picking lots of blackberries, and we've made tons of jam and I've been freezing them to use in pies and cobblers later. Its been super hot here in Washington and even though I love baking, its too hot to bake right now.

My tomato plants are also booming and I hope to can some stewed tomatoes, salsa and pasta sauce. I need to acquire a food mill, which will help with canning tomatoes.

Picture of the sauerkraut that was an epic fail.

Fermented radishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment