Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Spring time! Starting my garden.

Spring has come early in Washington. The flowers are blooming, the days are getting warmer and longer. I love this time of the year. I've had small gardens on my balcony, in my Long Beach apartment, and now I'm so excited to have my own backyard to start a proper garden. This will be my first attempt at this, so no promises if it all works out, but I'm ready to get my hands dirty.

My husband is going to build raised garden beds in the next few weeks. I'm looking to have about three large beds and maybe we'll plant some apple trees as well. I want cherry and peach trees too, but those may have to wait till next year. A good fruit tree can cost about $30, so that adds up pretty quick.

One thing I started right away, was ordering a composter on Amazon. Since I'm part of an HOA, I can't have an open compost pit, which is understandable. The last thing I want, is to attract all kinds of wildlife, to an open pit of rotting food. I decided on a rotating, duel composter, because it had good reviews and wasn't too expensive. Also, it would be delivered to my front door, so if anything keeps me from running an errand, I'll do it.

Even though it feels like spring, there are still frost on the ground some mornings, so starting my seedlings inside is a good idea. I started seedlings for beefsteak tomatoes, yellow tomatoes, green bell peppers, jalapenos, rosemary, sage, thyme, lavender, and marigold flowers. I've already started seeing sprouts with my tomato plants! So excited. I love summer tomatoes.

Besides my seedlings, I also want to plant cucumbers, brussel sprouts, watermelon and cantaloupe, to name a few. Those will have to wait till the garden beds go in. So hopefully, I'll have lots of yummy fruits and veggies all summer long!

Tomato sprouts!

Area where the garden beds will go in. You can see my composter along the fence. 


No comments:

Post a Comment