Friday, February 20, 2015

Pulled Pork with Spicy Chutney

Since I've been trying to split my time between painting the interior of my house, cleaning up the back yard and find new fun things to cook, things have been a little crazy. My husband and I have been eating at home a lot lately, so I've been cooking lots of big batches to fun stuff, to get us through the week. Pulled pork is so easy and since you make a lot of it, you can use it all week in all kinds of dishes. Its also super cheap, when you think about how much you get out of it. A 6-pound pork shoulder was about $25 at my local QFC this week. For this recipe I used a jar of homemade chutney (which I'll have to find the recipe and post about it later), but it was based on Mrs Ball's African Chutney, which you can buy online.

Ingredients:

5-6 pound bone-in pork shoulder
1 jar Mrs Ball's Chutney
2 cups water
1 bay leaf
kosher salt and black pepper

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

2. Heat a large dutch oven, over medium high heat. Make sure the pork shoulder is dry (tab with paper towels) and season generously with salt and pepper on both sides. Once the dutch oven is heated, brown the pork shoulder on all sides.

3. Once browned, place the pork shoulder, fat side up and add the water, chutney and bay leaf. Bring to a low boil, cover and place in heated oven.

4. Cook for about 3-4 hours, till the pork falls apart with a few pulls from a fork. Serve on potato rolls or any other kind of bread you want. Enjoy!


Seasoned with the salt and pepper.

After browned on all sides, add the chutney, water and bay leaf.

After roasting for about 3 1/2 hours. If only you could smell this thru the computer! So good!

No comments:

Post a Comment